Mid Canterbury is home to a wealth of bike trails suitable from beginner to advanced. Explore the region in depth with the vast variety of trails on offer.
- Arrowsmith Station
- Ashburton/Hakatere River Trail
- Lake Clearwater Circuit
- Lake Emma & Lake Camp
- Lake Emma to Balmacaan Saddle
- Double Hill via Turtons Saddle to Comyns Hut
- Lake Hood
- Methven Walkway
- Mt Hutt Bike Park
Track distance: 43km
Start location: Mt. Arrowsmith Station, Hakatere Lake Heron Road, Mid Canterbury
- Loop track (anti-clockwise direction) utilising private land.
- 4 - 6 of riding.
- $10 per day entry free.
- Spectacular mountainous scenery.
Track distance: 19km
Start location: State Highway 1 next to Ashburton River
- Follow Ashburton River from the township to the coast at Hakatere.
- Cycle through farmland and willows to the river mouth.
- Easy trail can be cycled in either direction.
- Several access points allow flexibility.
Track distance: 10.3km
Start location: Lake Clearwater, Hakatere Potts Road
- Views of Lake Clearwater and Mount Guy.
- Easy ride on a shared use track.
Track distance: 9.5km loop
Start location: Lake Emma is marked from Hakatere Potts Road, at the end of Ashburton Gorge Road
- Cycle around the edges of Harper Range.
- Stream crossing.
- Mountainous scenery.
Track distance: 15km loop
Start location: Lake Emma is marked from Hakatere Potts Road, at the end of Ashburton Gorge Road.
- Multi use track - mountain bikers code applies.
- Views down to the Rangitata River.
Track distance: 17.5km
Start location: From Mount Hutt, turn off SH77 onto Blackford Road (becomes Double Hill Run Road), follow up the true right of the Rakaia River.
- Some poorly defined sections, can be steep and rough in areas.
- Several stream crossings.
- Scenery includes farmland, streams and tussock fields.
- 'A' Framed Hut (3 bunks) and Comyns Hut (sleeps 8) enroute.
Track distance: 7.4km to the top of the lake
Start location: Ashburton, south end of SH1 Ashburton River Bridge
- Purpose built dual access track.
- Travel along the banks of the Ashburton River to Lake Hood.
Track distance: 12.4km
Start location: Methven i-SITE
- Primarily a walking track with cycling allowed.
- An easy loop following grass verges alongside private farmland and the Rangitata Diversion.
- Pass the Methven Racecourse, A&P Showgrounds, Methven Recreational Reserve and Golf Club.
Comprises of 24 varying tracks with the lower slopes home to 15kms of downhill free ride trails, great for all abilities. Check out Big Al's for more information.