To fully appreciate Mid Canterbury, head into the backcountry. Discover hidden gems like Washpen Falls. The walking track to the falls begins in Windwhistle and meanders its way through farmland to the waterfall itself. If you love exploring by foot then close by is Lake Coleridge with Peak Hill, a beautiful hill walk with excellent views from the top. Another good way to spend a day outdoors is golfing. Terrace Downs is an excellent 18 hole 72 par course within a resort like setting. Terrace Downs is also the perfect place to try archery and clay bird shooting with Newzengland. Be sure to stay the night and take advantage of the delicious restaurant and alpine style accommodation.
Terrace Downs is not far from Rakaia Gorge. To explore this spectacular river gorge, follow the Rakaia Gorge Walking Track or see the area from the water with Discovery Jet. On your way home, stop in at the lovely town of Methven. Afternoon tea can be had at the quirky Café Primo e Secundo or you can stop at either the famous Blue or Brown Pubs for a meal.
- The blue water of Rakaia Gorge is unreal, take a picture to prove it.
- Keen to get a good waterfall shot? Washpen Falls surrounded by native bush will not let you down.
- The top of Peak Hill with the mighty Southern Alps in the background is breathtaking.
- Ever wanted to drive a tractor? Visit the NZ Alpine & Agricultural Encounter in Methven and hop onboard!
- Try a high country high tea at Terrace Downs.
Methven Travel offers daily transport from Christchurch Airport to Methven.