In Ōtautahi Christchurch
Whether you’re looking to rent or buy, Ōtautahi Christchurch gives you all the housing and lifestyle options you could want. Choices range from smart inner city apartment living, to spacious suburban homes on large sections, to lifestyle blocks on the outer suburbs.
Christchurch Rental Market At A Glance
- In April 2021, the average rental rate in Canterbury was 17 per cent lower than the national rent, 28 per cent lower than rent in the Auckland region, and 26 per cent lower than rent in the Wellington region.
- For renters, the most in demand suburbs are City Centre, St. Albans and Riccarton (as at April 2021).
Finding The Perfect Home
There’s no denying it’s not an easy time to be a first home buyer but there are things you can do to get ahead of the game.
Trade Me Property Sales Director Gavin Lloyd share’s his top five tips for first home buyers:
- Tech is your best friend! You can use saved searches on Trade Me to make sure you are on top of any new listings that meet your requirements.
- Get your ducks in a row to make sure you are prepared.
- Talk to your bank to get preapproval and be clear on your budget - that way you’ll be good to go when the right house comes up.
- Be realistic about your expectations. Think about the features that are really important to you, then focus on finding a house that ticks most of your boxes.
- Get to know the market by doing research, visiting plenty of open homes and chatting with agents. This can be a time-consuming process but it’s well worth it.
Choosing the right local school or kura for your child is important. Some schools have an enrolment zone, which you may wish to factor into your house search. You can get an idea of zones through the Education Counts website, but you should also contact the school or kura to check the exact zone as they can change.
Buying a home is one of the biggest financial decisions you’re likely to make.
Visit settled.govt.nz for a comprehensive, independent information on both buying and selling a home in New Zealand.