Explore Mid Canterbury
Discover a land of outstanding contrasts – snow capped alps, sparkling lakes, and winding braided rivers.
To fully appreciate Mid Canterbury, head into the backcountry via the Inland Scenic Route 72. If you have time, one of the best ways to take it all in is by a hot air balloon flight, providing you with a bird’s eye view of the stunning region.
Spend the day outdoors at Terrace Downs an 18 hole 72 par golf course within a resort like setting. Terrace Downs is also the perfect place to try archery and clay bird shooting. Terrace Downs is not far from Rakaia Gorge. To explore this spectacular river, follow the Rakaia Gorge Walking Track or see the area from the water with Discovery Jet.
Head into the Hakatere Conservation Park for fishing, tramping or mountain biking. Walk to the top of Mt Sunday - home of Edoras for “Lord of the Rings” - the view is well worth the walk! The hidden gem of Erewhon Station - “Home of the Working Horse” is a special treat. Take a wagon safaris off the beaten track.
On the way home, stop in at the lovely town of Methven, also the home of Mt Hutt Ski Area, (voted No1 ski field in New Zealand nine years running). Afternoon tea can be had at the quirky Café Primo E Secundo or you can stop at either the famous Blue or Brown Pubs for a meal.
- Rakaia Gorge Bridge - The blue water is unreal!
- Mt Sunday Walk - be rewarded by beautiful views of the Rangitata Valley.
- Lake Clearwater and Heron – crystal clear lakes.
- Staveley Store is the perfect example of the good old-fashioned country cuisine. The food and products on offer are the real deal! Try their famous venison, or honey and locally source deli products – irresistible!
- Ever wanted to drive a tractor? Visit the NZ Alpine & Agricultural Encounter in Methven and hop onboard!