Skip to content

Your Job Search

Job Search Essentials

Check out the job search essentials and how to create a punchy and compelling CV and cover letter to go with your job applications.

What Are The Tools You Need To Show Off Your Skills

Job Search And Networking

First, find jobs that would be the right fit for you.

You can read more about the growth sectors in Canterbury where many jobs are available now and where we expect to see continued growth over the next 10 to 20 years.

Searching online jobs ads is a good start to finding your dream job but in Canterbury (and across NZ) only 30 per cent of jobs are filled through advertising, to access the other 70 per cent of jobs you need to build your networks and connections.

Employers often prefer to recruit staff through their networks, avoiding lengthy recruitment processes. By proactively contacting employers you would like to work with and sharing your interest and CV, you put yourself at the front of the line (and avoid applying along with hundreds of others when a job is advertised).

You can do this on LinkedIn, in-person, by email and at meetups like industry events. It shows employers you have initiative and are proactive.

See a list of Canterbury networking opportunities and industry groups.

Now It's Time To Prepare

Power Up your job search by knowing the essentials on how to make your CV and cover letter stand out and how to prepare for your interview.