Dame Ngaio’s powerful presence is found everywhere - from the green chair that she wrote longhand in, to her personal art collection, first edition books, clothes and travel trunks. It was where she entertained her many guests, including artists, writers, upcoming actors and Hollywood greats. Originally known as Marton Cottage, the house was built for Dame Ngaio’s parents in 1906 by noted Christchurch architect Samuel Hurst Seager, a cousin of Dame Ngaio’s mother Rose. The house is listed by Heritage New Zealand Pouhere Taonga as a Category 1 Historic Place of special or outstanding historical or cultural significance or value. Visitors receive a rare insight into the private world of New Zealand’s most enigmatic grand dame of the arts.