Skip to content

Permitting & Location Access

Permitting & Location Access

Please make sure you familiarise yourself with the following before filming.

Ōtautahi Christchurch Screen Protocols 2020

Download the Ōtautahi Christchurch Screen Protocols 2020 to review the guidelines and permitting conditions for screen productions in Ōtautahi Christchurch (including Banks Peninsula).

Christchurch City Council Land

Permission and/or notification is required for public land. Christchurch City Council permits screen activity in the Christchurch Boundary.

Christchurch City Council Screen Permitting Criteria
Christchurch City Council Screen Permit Application

Contact: for any enquiries.

Canterbury and West Coast District Council Land

In most cases, permission and/or notification is required for public land. Each district council in has their own procedure for access, but Screen CanterburyNZ is here to support you with. 

Please fill in the pre-application form and/or talk to us for more information.

Department of Conservation (DOC) Controlled Areas

Concession required.

DOC map available to assess land management. DOC is the guardian of New Zealand's conservation estate and administers its national parks. If you want to film in an area managed by DOC you need to apply for a concession. 

Concessions are governed by DOC’s Code of Practice: The Code’s stated purpose is to provide film crews with guidance and assistance. Consent forms and other relevant material such as information about fees can be found on DOC’s website or via email

We encourage you to have as much pre-application discussion with the local DOC office as possible. 

Film crews should familiarise themselves with this process and follow the guidance when applying for their DOC concession - this reduces the time and cost required. 

In most cases the application is best lodged at the DOC office nearest to the primary location that is to be used. 

Application forms: DOC Concession Application Form 5a – Filming and Application Information Form 1b – One-Off Process

You can also contact Screen CanterburyNZ for more information or assistance.

LINZ Unalienated Crown Land (Includes Lakebeds and Riverbeds)

Recreation permit required. Many New Zealand lakebeds and riverbeds are Crown property and are managed by LINZ on behalf of the Commissioner of Crown Lands.  

A recreation permit is required prior to filming on these. Applications should be made with Colliers, who are LINZ’s service agents. 

Email Screen Liaisons Rose Quirk or Poppy Simpson-Wells

You can also contact Screen CanterburyNZ for more information or assistance.

LINZ Pastoral Land (Stations or Farms)

Recreation permit required. If you are filming on Pastoral lease land with the permission of the leaseholder (farmer) you will also need a LINZ Pastoral recreation permit from LINZ Pastoral.

Email LINZ Pastoral Screen Liaison Team. 

You can also contact Screen CanterburyNZ for more information or assistance. 

Maori Land

Permission required. The encouragement of consultation with local iwi is recommended before filming in New Zealand.

Please fill in the pre-application form and/or talk to us for more information.

Private Land

Permission required from landowner. Permission to film is required from the landowner of all locations. 

If you are not sure who owns the land, please fill in the pre-application form and/or talk to us for more information. 

Environment Canterbury Land (Regional Council)

Permission required. Please visit the Canterbury Maps website and turn on the layer ‘Environment Canterbury Land’ to see what areas they can give permission for (please note that most riverbeds are owned by LINZ). 

Once you’ve determined that the area where you’d like to film is owned by Environment Canterbury, please email the Customer Services team to request permission to film. In this email, please provide the following information: 

  • your name and company 
  • your contact details 
  • the purpose of your filming 
  • details about what you want to film 
  • the specific location(s) where you want to film 
  • the desired date of filming 
  • the approximate time of day

The Environment Canterbury Reserves team will endeavour to provide a response as soon as they can. Once a decision has been made, a formal response notifying the approval or decline will be sent to the requester.

If you are not sure, contact Screen CanterburyNZ for more information or assistance.

Get In Touch

We are here to help you and your next project. If you need access, have any questions or just want to start a conversation on how we could collaborate as the screen office, get in touch now.

Be sure to follow @ScreenCanterburyNZ on Instagram, Facebook and LinkedIn.

Petrina D’Rozario
Petrina D’Rozario
Screen CanterburyNZ Manager
Screen CanterburyNZ Helen Castelow
Helen Castelow
Screen Facilitator