2 Hours West of Christchurch
A 2-hour drive west from Christchurch you'll find Arthur's Pass National Park. Arthur's Pass is all about nature and scenery and there's plenty of both to explore!
The small village of Arthur's Pass is surrounded by the mighty Southern Alps and is the ultimate spot for hiking. The local Department of Conservation Visitor Centre is a wealth of information regarding walks in the area.
The Devil’s Punchbowl walk is a short, popular track with excellent photo opportunities in front of the falls. Watch out for cheeky Kea – the smart alpine parrot has been known to steal lunches and loves nibble on window wipers!
- A Simpsons fan? Snap a selfie in front of the famous Springfield Doughnut
- Explore Cass, with its iconic red railway station or jump aboard the TranzAlpine – one of the most scenic train rides in the world! * Please note: The TranzAlpine is currently not operating under COVID-19 Alert Level 2.
- Capture mirror images and epic moody skies at Lake Pearson
- A pie lover? Don't leave Canterbury without having tried the famous Sheffield pies
- Tired of walking? Try quad biking at Adventure Trailrides in Springfield
- Explore the area by horse trekking or jet boating at Rubicon Farm near Springfield
- Adventure seekers will be fully satisfied after a walk through Cave Stream - be sure to check the conditions before entering the cave!
- Test your bouldering and climbing skills at Castle Hill
- There's daily transport available between Christchurch and Arthur's Pass: Bus Atomic Travel or train TranzAlpine.
Explore Your Place
ChristchurchNZ’s Explore Your Place campaign encourages locals to support their city and region, its businesses and ultimately save jobs.