90 Minutes North from Christchurch
Ninety minutes from Christchurch, nestled within mountain ranges lies Hanmer Springs. This alpine town offers everything from ultimate relaxation to thrill seeking adventures.
The Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa is a water wonderland with two enormous leisure pools, hydroslides and the Conical Thrill and SuperBowl aquatic thrill rides. Add to that grassy picnic areas and a lazy river and you’ll keep the kids happy all day. For those after a little more relaxation, make your way around the variety of hot pools of varying temperatures, the aqua therapy areas or really treat yourself with a luxury spa package.
There's so much to do in the village! Perfect your putt at mini golf, take a Hanmer Rocket, visit the local animal park or take to the many walking and biking tracks in the area. Want something more white knuckled? How about river rafting, canoeing, jet boating, bungy jumping or a spot of quad biking?
- The old Waiau Ferry Bridge makes the perfect background to capture the mighty Waiau river.
- A trek to the top of Conical Hill will reward you with epic landscape shots.
- Feeling peckish? The Hanmer Bakery is the place for a quick snack to stop the tummy rumbling.
- If you’re heading up to Hanmer on a Saturday, stop at Amberley on the way! The Amberley Farmers Market is held every Saturday and is the place to buy locally made products and produce.
- No trip to Hanmer Springs is complete without a walk up to the top of Conical Hill.
ChristchurchNZ’s Explore Your Place campaign encourages locals to support their city and region, its businesses and ultimately save jobs.