Explore the Coastal Town of Kaikōura
Where the mountains meet the sea! Kaikōura is blessed with vast marine wildlife, delicious seafood, passionate locals and scenic hiking tracks.
The coastal town of Kaikōura is a marine and eco-tourism mecca. The deep sea canyon is a haven for whales, dolphins, seals and albatrosses. As the name Kaikōura suggests, (Kai = food and Koura = Crayfish) there's lots of seafood to indulge in. Be sure to stop for local crayfish at the Seafood BBQ Kiosk on the way to the peninsula seal colony.
The popular Peninsula Walkway is not only great exercise but offers breath-taking views. Get out and explore on one of the many tours or if taking it easy is more your thing, then a visit to the Kaikoura Museum is a 'must-do' to learn all about the history of the area.
- Be sure to capture a shot of snow-capped mountains meeting the Pacific Ocean.
- The iconic whale tail snap. Don't leave Kaikōura without it!
- Walk up Mt Fyffe for an epic landscape image of Kaikōura Peninsula.
- Be the envy of your friends and followers with foodie grams of fresh crayfish.
- Capture cute and cuddly seals sunbathing on the beach.
- Heading north on a Saturday? Amberley’s Farmers Market is famous for fresh local produce and artisan products.
- The Haumuri Bluffs, south of Kaikōura is the perfect spot for fossil hunters.
- Check out the baby seals at the Ohau Point Seal colony lookout.
ChristchurchNZ’s Explore Your Place campaign encourages locals to support their city and region, its businesses and ultimately save jobs.