Explore the Coastal Town of Kaikoura
Where the mountains meet the sea! Kaikoura is blessed with vast marine wildlife, delicious seafood, passionate locals and scenic hiking tracks.
The coastal town of Kaikoura is a marine and eco-tourism mecca. The deep sea canyon is a haven for whales, dolphins, seals and albatrosses. As the name Kaikoura suggests, (Kai = food and Koura = Crayfish) there's lots of seafood to indulge in. Be sure to stop for local crayfish at the Seafood BBQ Kiosk on the way to the peninsula seal colony.
The popular Peninsula Walkway is not only great exercise but offers breath-taking views. If relaxation is more your thing, then Fyffe House (an old whaling station) and the Kaikoura Museum are 'must-do's' to learn all about the history of the area.
- Be sure to capture a shot of snow-capped mountains meeting the Pacific Ocean.
- The iconic whale tail snap. Don't leave Kaikoura without it!
- Walk up Mt Fyffe for an epic landscape image of Kaikoura Peninsula.
- Be the envy of your friends and followers with foodie grams of fresh crayfish.
- Capture cute and cuddly seals sunbathing on the beach.
- Heading north on a Saturday? Amberley’s Farmers Market is famous fresh local produce and artisan products
- After a classic 'Kiwi' country town experience, head to Two Rivers Café in Cheviot
- The Haumuri Bluffs, south of Kaikoura is the perfect spot for fossil hunters
- Check out the baby seals at the Ohau Point Seal colony lookout