The South Island Lantern Festival is one of our most popular festivals and for good reason. Beautiful lanterns, incredible entertainment and the food! To make sure you don’t miss out on anything, we've put together a list of our top 13 must dos at this year’s festival.
1. Check out the new lanterns on display – especially the 2019 Year of the Pig lantern. Don’t forget your camera!
2. Visit the Zhejiang craft tent to experience the traditional art of Kite Making, Ou Sculpture and sash of she making.
3. We love a competition and China Southern Airlines have a good one for us this year. Head down to their stand located near the Scott Statue to enter on-site and to go in the draw to win a two return flights to China! And while you are there Experience the new China Southern Airlines lantern with a view of the Guangzhou sky line - it’s 7mtrs long and 3.5mtrs high.
4. Eat! This is our favourite part. With loads of different food vendors located across the entire site, there's something for everyone. Challenge yourself to try something a little bit different this year.
5. For the price of a gold coin donation, you can get your name written in traditional Chinese calligraphy by The Confucius Institute. Thanks, guys!
7. We can’t wait to hear the extraordinary talent of rock musician Yu Hanyi, who has travelled from China for the festival and will bring a modern twist to the entertainment line-up. Make sure you check him out.
8. Gap Filler has joined in the festival with a installation installed at The Commons – stop off when you enter the festival site from this point and make a lotus flower to put on the installation. You may also experience a Panda Bear along the way….
9. Christchurch Casino, not only do they have lantern installations outside the Casino, make sure you visit the friendly team onsite too.
10. Punt rides are returning to the festival in 2019. Experience the festival from the water with a 15-minute ride on the Ōtākaro Avon River. Spaces are limited, more details to come.
11. Christchurch Sister Cities, another crowd favourite is back again in 2019 and will be hosting the Christchurch Sister City Gansu. Visit their activation located near the Kate Sheppard Memorial and experience traditional craft making of paper cutting. While you’re there for a gold coin donation you can ring the Gansu Bell!
12. Visit the lovely team at China Travel Services to learn how you can be part of the 2019 Tourism year special ,"ONCE IN A LIFETIME INVITATION", the exclusive event for 1000 kiwi in Xi'An, a royal style welcoming ceremony.
13. Visit the friendly team at Experience Mid-Canterbury and learn about the history of Puyang, the sister city of Mid-Canterbury and while you are there enter the competition to win a $300.00 gift voucher to eat at Ashburton’s newest Asian Cuisine restaurant – Formosa.