Situated 40 minutes north of Christchurch, the Waimakariri District is the perfect playground for all things outdoor. Try one of the trails on offer to explore the coastline and forests of this unique rural district.
- Kaiapoi Island Trails
- Mt. Richardson via Blowhard Track
- Rakahuri Trail and Rakahuri MTB Park
- Tūhaitara Park Track
- Wharfedale Track
Track distance: 18.5km
Start location: 10kms from the city of Christchurch. Enter Wrights Road, off the old Main North Road bridge.
- Offers a range of recreational activities including mountain bike tracks.
- West of the motorbike track there is a choice or river or forest track.
- Two way shared use track.
- Several easy rides including Wrights Road cycle loop 8.5km trails and Raven Quay loop 18.5km long.
Track distance: 10.5km
Start location: 60 km northwest of Christchurch, and is reached via either Oxford or Loburn. Blowhard Track starts at the end of Maori Reserve Road.
- Start of the track is 4WD before narrowing into a steep and rocky single track.
- The traverse to the summit of Mt. Richardson involves lots of rocks, roots and bike carrying.
- A fast downhill ride. Be sure your brakes are in working order!
Track distance: 4kms (with the option to create longer rides)
Start location: Access from the stopbanks by the Rangiora Racecourse, end of West Belt and River Road.
- Perfect tracks to introduce children to mountain biking.
- Picnic areas along the trail.
- Combine with rides to Waikuku Beach, Tuhaitara Coastal Park and Pegasus.
Track distance: 5km - 10.5km
Start location: Woodend Beach Road, Kiwi Avenue, Waikuku or Tiritiri Moana Drive, Pegasus Town
- Part of the Tūhaitara Coastal Park covering approximately 575 hectares of land.
- Areas of significance include the Tūtaepatu Lagoon, Taranaki Stream and Saltwater Creek.
- Cycle trails link to the adjoining Waimakariri River and Ashley Rakahuri Regional Parks.
Track distance: 15km
Start location: View Hill car park, Oxford Forest
- The track sidles and climbs gradually through beech forests to Whafedale Saddle.
- Fast flowing and technical sections.
- Connect to Mt. Oxford and Cookers Creek track to make more comprehensive.