Explore Banks Peninsula’s largest reserve of land now regenerated as stunning native forest with sweeping views over the Otanerito valley.
What you need to know:
- 1.5 hour drive from Christchurch.
- Variable walk length - 1 hour to half day walks.
- 16 kilometres total length with bird life and waterfalls abound.
- 20 tracks open to the public with some tracks winding through upper hills of the area.
- Access by vehicle from Long Bay Road or on foot from Akaroa via Purple Peak Saddle.
- Walk starts from the Reserve entrance off Long Bay Road, 15 minutes’ drive from Akaroa.
- Regenerated and run by NZ botanist Hugh Wilson.
- Dogs are not permitted.
- Warm clothing & sturdy footwear required – can get windy.
- Walkable all year round except in extreme weather.
- More information ...