Canterbury is one of a few international destinations where you can film the ocean and the mountains (Southern Alps) on the same day. Canterbury provides ease of access to the most diverse landscapes in the country within an within an hour’s reach from international airport and New Zealand’s newest and second largest commercial centre.
The city has achieved international acclaim for its creative and clever urban design, evidenced by inspiring street art, new architecture, and a range of new retail, hospitality, innovation, arts and entertainment precincts.
Within an hour from the city, productions can be filmed at a sea port, wheat fields, alpine environments, on braided rivers, surf breaks, rolling hills, farm plains, lakes, geographic rock, historic buildings, English gardens, sleepy little town centres, sheltered bays and so much more.
Other top reasons
- Within Canterbury is New Zealand’s second largest city- Christchurch
- Christchurch is the gateway to the picturesque South Island- 5 hours south of the Tasman, 3 hours east of the West Coast, 6 hours north of Queenstown
- Ease of access in and around the city, to all of Canterbury, to the South Island and New Zealand
- Internationally connected
- Stable weather
- Talented and innovative workforce of scale
- Affordable accommodation
- Outstanding lifestyle
- Talented and innovative film crew
- Three large tertiary providers and a number of private training establishments delivering screen related education programmes
- Off season destination, just in time delivery for Northern hemisphere markets
- Land capacity to build a large-scale studio campus
- Infrastructure with capacity, such as quality hotels, restaurants and transport
- Trust and confidence in the lack of corruption
- English as the language of business
For more information, please download the Screen CanterburyNZ Look Book.