1 July 2013
The CBD Rebuild Tour offers a unique guided experience around the ever-changing post-earthquake Christchurch City centre. The tour replaces the extremely popular CBD Red Zone Tour that was visited by over 35,000 people.
The previous tour has been revitalised, with a new route, commentary and audio visual material. The informative coach tour will guide visitors through what was, what's happening and what’s coming in the new Christchurch CBD.
A key focus of the tours is what the future holds for the CBD and the tour aims to give visitors an insight into:
- Christchurch's vibrant past – including the history of the City's pre-earthquake buildings and features.
- The seismic forces at work– including the events of the September 2010 and February 2011 earthquakes and the devastation they caused. The tour will point out the damaged Christchurch Cathedral, Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament and Knox Church. Visitors will also see active demolition sites.
- Innovative transitional projects – including the Re: START Mall, Greening the Rubble, Gap Filler and Street Art.
- Technology involved in the rebuild – the tour will explain some of the lessons learnt from the regions seismic events and point out buildings that incorporate this new technology, including the Transitional 'cardboard' Cathedral.
- Plans for the future - including artist’s impressions and concept designs of new buildings and precincts in the City. The Terrace Development and the proposed Convention Centre will be used as examples.
Cost: $29 per person
Tour duration: 90 minutes
Departure: 11:30am and 1pm daily
Tours run 7 days a week departing from Rolleston Avenue, outside Canterbury Museum.
Rebuild Tour welcome group bookings and charters. Coaches are modern, fully air conditioned, environmentally-sustainable and wheelchair accessible.