Christchurch Economic Recovery Package
As the city’s sustainable economic development agency, ChristchurchNZ is fully focused on delivering the city-led economic recovery package in partnership with the Christchurch City Council and its other trading companies, and central government.
Update Against our Economic Recovery Progress
The Economic Recovery Forum includes leaders from public, private and community organisations across Ōtautahi Christchurch in a collective effort to help our economy recover quickly and intelligently.
Key Immediate Support Measures
Some of the key immediate business support measures are outlined below.
This page will be regularly updated as more support comes online.
Regional Business Partners Network
Christchurch Economic Recovery Forum
Business Mentors NZ
COVID-19 Business Tools & Resources
The Christchurch Economic Recovery Package includes four programmes:
- Business Support: short-term work to support businesses suffering from the immediate economic fallout
- Infrastructure-led Recovery Programme: work focused on identifying and prioritising infrastructure projects to support economic recovery
- Strategic Economic Development Programme: work that ensures recovery activity is aligned to an agreed long-term vision, and in partnership with the private sector and central government.
- Community and Visitor Economy Activation Programme: work focusing on stimulating economic growth when it is safe to do so.
These are being delivered over three phases:
- Immediate: work to keep parts of the economy functioning during and after alert level 4
- Short to Medium term: support to engage businesses and community once New Zealand returns to level 3 or 2
- Longer term: strategic recovery planning
Additional Business Tools and Resources
Canterbury Employers' Chamber of Commerce
COVID-19 Business Resources and Support
Central Government Support
Information regarding the Wage Subsidy and Leave Payment Scheme.
COVID-19 Business Tools & Resources
A Selection of Tools & Resources to Assist Businesses
What's Your New Normal?
Advice for Businesses Adapting to COVID-19
Alert Level 3
Golden Rules to Make Your Business Covid-19 Safe
Employers and Manufacturers Association
Tourism Business Support
Go With Tourism
COVID-19 Action Group
More COVID-19 Information
COVID-19 Economic Recovery Articles
A city-wide approach to growing more high value businesses and jobs for Ōtautahi Christchurch has been launched.
Retail spending in Christchurch increased by 4 per cent during June 2020 compared to the same period last year, bringing it back in line wit…
A further $40m in additional national advisory funding has been announced to help small to medium businesses navigate the COVID-19 environme…
This week’s retail report is of interest as it covers the first week that is fully within alert level two, since leaving alert level three.
Compared to previous week, retail spending volumes were up 25.8 percentage points for the week ending 17 May 2020.
We are doubling down on efforts to encourage residents to support local businesses, and Kiwis to explore Canterbury and the surrounding area…
Retail spending in Greater Christchurch increased by 10 percentage points in the first week of Alert Level 3.
Spending in Christchurch’s central city core was down 24 per cent to $15m in March 2020, compared to the same month last year.
Retail spending in Greater Christchurch grinds to halt thanks to COVID-19. Find out which sectors are facing the biggest challenges.
Over 81 per cent of respondents to a recent survey of Canterbury businesses are reporting significant financial impacts from COVID-19.