Phil's Best Kept Canterbury Secret #14
The coastal road that links Christchurch and Marlborough has to be one of the most scenic drives in New Zealand. The only problem is that the driver - with his/her eyes glued to the road often misses out on this iconic road trip.
The Coastal Pacific train offers the perfect solution and travels between Christchurch and the vibrant seaport town of Picton in Marlborough to the north. This journey is a scenic feast, with the Kaikoura mountain ranges on one side of your train and the rugged Pacific Ocean coastline on the other. Along the way you'll pass through the town of Kaikoura, where you can break your journey to take in the whale watching or go swimming with the dolphins.
Travel through some of New Zealand's finest horticultural and farmland areas, and see amazing wildlife such as dolphins,and penguins from the comfort of your train carriage. The Coastal Pacific is a great way of making the journey just as memorable as the destination!
Coastal Pacific - Key Facts
- Travels through 22 tunnels and crosses 175 bridges.
- Includes an open air viewing carriage, all the best for smelling the clean, fresh, sea air!
- Make the most of having both hands free with snacks and beverages including local wines available on board.
- Departs from Christchurch daily at 7am to arrive in Picton at approximately 12.15pm.
- Departs Picton daily at 1pm to arrive in Christchurch at approximately 6.20pm.