Explore the heart of South Canterbury by bike, a great way to soak up the coastal, rural and river based scenery the region has to offer. From gentle tracks to challenging terrain there's a track to suit everyone in South Canterbury.
- Centennial Park (The Scenic)
- Gordon's Valley
- Orari River Flat Track
- Pleasant Point-Geraldine-Temuka Loop
- Pleasant Point-Totara Valley Loop
- Saltwater Creek to South Beach
- The Four Peaks Circuit
Track length: A wide range of tracks to suit all ages and abilities
Start location: Quarry Road off Otipua Road (there are also 2 other access points)
- Timaru’s main mountain biking area.
- The small valley (formerly a quarry) is set amongst a mixture of native bush, pines, gums, oaks and other exotic trees.
- Combine the trails to form different tracks.
Track duration: Approximately 2.5 - 3.5 hours
Start location: Southern Trust Events Centre on Morgans Road
- Rolling farmland dotted with cabbage tress to the Ancient Maori rock art drawings.
- Return through Beaconfield Settlement.
- Enjoy a break at the popular Wetlands Café.
Track duration: 45 mins
Start location: A few minutes from Orari township
- Orari River Flat tracks offer fun for riders of all abilities.
- Most picturesque between spring to autumn.
Ride duration: Allow 3 hours
Start location: 100% Homemade Café, Temuka (home to the famous Temuka Pottery)
- Encompasses the South Canterbury townships of Winchester and Geraldine.
- Sample well-known Talbot Forest Cheese, Barker's jams and chutneys.
Ride duration: Allow 1 hour
Start location: Pleasant Point
- A great loop track.
- Varied and interesting ride taking in the aptly named township of Pleasant Point.
- Fantastic views across rolling farmland.
Ride duration: 1 hour 45 mins
Start location: Centennial Park Reserve
- Take in rural views cycling though native plants to Otipua Wetlands.
- Picturesque coastal track complete with ocean vistas.
- A great family ride.
Ride duration: 2.5 hours
Start location: Geraldine
- Uphill climb captures expansive views of the township.
- Views include Four Peaks, Mount Peel, the Southern Alps, Canterbury Plains and native wildlife.
- The circuit includes sealed and gravel roads.