River & Lake Walks
Enjoy the river and lake areas of the Waimate District with a great range of short walks. Willow trees, limestone cliffs and a huge variety of bird species are just a few of the highlights on offer.
Waihao River Walkway
Duration of walk: 1.5 hour return
Start location: Off State Highway 82 near Waihao Forks. Runs along the southern river bank.
- Great views of limestone cliffs
- Opportunity for camping and swimming at start of track
- Willows trees, grasslands and riverbed vegetation
Lake Wainono Wetland
Duration of walk: 5 hours return
Start location: Either end of track Hook Beach Road or Poingdestres Road
- Bird watches paradise, over 57 bird species have been recorded.
- Part of the walk is along beach shingle and stones
- Beach popular for fishing
Duration of walk: 1 hour return
Start location: Either Garlands Road Bridge or end of Naylor St
- A picturesque round trip with views of the hills
- Relatively flat track, easy access for pushchairs
- A opportunity to explore stream life