Lake Tekapo Walks
See what Lake Tekapo and surrounds has to offer by foot! Turquoise lakes, 360 degree views at Mt John, stunning mountain scenery and the historic Church of the Good Shepherd are just a few of the highlights to discover.
Cowans Hill Walkway
Duration of walk: 1-2 hours
Start location: Start at Lake Tekapo township, cross the bridge leading into town and turn right up the path which starts just on the Eastern side of the bridge.
- 360 degree views of the surrounding countryside from the top of Cowans Hill
- Views of Lake Tekapo and mountains
Lake Tekapo Walkway
Duration of walk: 1 hour
Start location: Eastern end of Lake Tekapo township lakefront
- Stunning views across Lake Tekapo and surrounding mountains
- Church of the Good Shepherd
- An easily accessible walk where you can stop along the way at one of the nice cafes in Lake Tekapo
Mt John Summit Track
Duration of walk: 2 - 3.5 hours (2 options)
Start location: From the centre of Lake Tekapo township, head west on State Highway 8 and take the first right down Lakeside Drive (opposite Peppers Bluewater Resort). Drive along this road and just before the hot pools complex car park you will see a DOC sign on the left marking the start of the track.
- 360 degree views over Lake Tekapo, Lakes McGregor and Alexandrina, the Mackenzie Basin and across to the Southern Alps.
- Mt John Observatory including information panels
- Stop and enjoy delicious food and beverages at Astro cafe at the top of Mt John
Duration of walk: 4 hours
Start location: Transport is required to get to the start and end points of this trail. From Lake Tekapo, start to head east on State Highway 8 and turn left onto Lilybank Road just before you leave the town.
- The trail travels along an old glacial terrace
- Stunning views of Lake Tekapo and surrounding mountains
Duration of walk: 2.5 hours
Start location: From Lake Tekapo township, head west on State Highway 8 and take a right turn onto Godley Peaks Road. Continue on this road for a few minutes and there is a car park area on the right, near Lake McGregor.
- Lovely views of Lake Tekapo, Mt John, and surrounding mountains