Experience spectacular sub-alpine scenery, abundant bird life and lovely views of Aoraki/Mount Cook and Lake Pukaki on the following tracks.
- Governors Bush Walk
- Kea Point Walk
- Glencoe Walk
- Hooker Valley Track
- Pukaki Kettlehole Track
- Pukaki Boulders
- Lake Pukaki Track
Duration of walk: 45 minutes
Start location: Turn off State Highway 8 at Lake Pukaki onto State Highway 80. This walk starts and finishes at the public shelter at Aoraki Mt Cook village.
- Abundant birdlife particularly fantail and kea
- Good viewpoint of the mountains
- A great walk for children as it is a good place for them to run around in a natural environment
Duration of walk: 1 hour
Start location: Turn off State Highway 8 at Lake Pukaki onto State Highway 80. This walk starts at the White Horse Hill campground and car park, just beyond Mt Cook village.
- Sub-alpine grasslands
- A viewing deck that gives stunning views on a clear day of Mt Sefton and Footstool, the Hooker Valley, Mueller Glacier Lake and Aoraki Mount Cook
Duration of walk: 30 minutes
Start location: Turn off State Highway 8 at Lake Pukaki onto State Highway 80. This walk starts and finishes behind The Hermitage Hotel in Mt Cook village.
- A birds-eye view of the village and beyond to the white ice of the Hooker Glacier and Aoraki/Mount Cook.
- Sunrise and sunset are good times to catch light-play on the mountains.
Duration of walk: Up to 4 hours
Start location: Turn off State Highway 8 at Lake Pukaki onto State Highway 80. Begin at the Visitor Centre, or White Horse Hill Campground and car park.
- A great viewpoint at the Alpine Memorial
- Three swing bridge crossings
- The walk ends at the glacier lake where there are amazing views of Aoraki Mount Cook, the Hooker Glacier and the Southern Alps
Lake Pukaki Walks
Duration of walk: 1 hour
Start location: This walk starts just east of the Pukaki River Spillway. It is signposted off the southern side of State Highway 8 and there is a designated car parking area.
- Spectacular views out over Lake Pukaki and the Mackenzie basin
- Pop into the salmon shop after your walk, which is just a minute’s drive down State Highway 8!
Duration of walk: 10 minutes
Start location: From State Highway 8, turn up Highway 80 (towards Aoraki Mt Cook). Follow this road for a short distance and there is a car parking area near the start of the track.
- The boulders are glacial erratic deposited by the Tasman Glacier over 10,000 years ago
- Lovely views out over Lake Pukaki
Duration of walk: 4 hours return
Start location: This walk can be started on the lake side of State Highway 8, near the starting point for the Pukaki Kettlehole walk. Park off the road and the track can be started at many points here.
- There are lovely views out over Lake Pukaki and the Southern Alps
- Beautiful view of Aoraki Mt Cook on a clear day
- You can choose how far you want to walk, and then return the same way