Kaikoura Forest & Bush Walks
A great selection of walking tracks in Kaikoura suitable for the whole family. Ohau Stream & Waterfall track is a favourite among locals and visitors alike. Get up close to baby seal pups and watch them play in the river and waterfall pool!
Ohau Stream & Waterfall
Duration of walk: 20 minutes return
Start location: SH1 15 minutes drive north of Kaikoura
- Small picturesque waterfall
- Sometimes in the winter months there may be a group of young playful seal pups swimming in the waterfall pool.
Seals are fascinating to watch and enjoy respectfully from a safe distance. Should you encounter a seal, please follow these guidelines:
- Stay at least 10m away from all seals and keep dogs and small children under control at all times.
- Do not feed seals.
- Do not touch seals.
Duration of walk: 45 minute loop walk
Start Location: 10 minute's drive from Kaikoura township starts at the base of Mt Fyffe- carpark
- Well formed track
- Suitable for families
- Unusual forest with varieties of natives
- A picnic area at the carpark has great views over Kaikoura
Puhi Puhi Reserve
Duration of Walk: 30 minutes return
Start Location: 12kms north of Kaikoura up the Puhi Puhi Valley
- A well-marked loop track
- Scenic reserve