Bottle Lake Forest Walk
Intensity: Walking track
Duration of walk: Varies
How to get there: The main entrance and car park is off Waitikiri Drive. From the central city head north on Cranford Street turning right onto Innes Road, turn right onto Queen Elizabeth II Drive and then left onto Marshlands Road, follow Marshlands till you can turn right onto Prestons Road. From here follow the signs to Bottle Lake Forest which will take you onto Waitikiri Drive.
Description of walk: There are numerous options for walking in Bottle Lake Forest. Two of the most popular tracks are the green & blue tracks. Both start from the car park. The green track is a short loop track that winds around the 1000-hectare pine forest. The blue track is a larger loop that takes you around the forest and onto Spencer Park if desired. Other tracks will link to the Southern Pegasus Bay track and the coastline.
Facilities available and important information:
- Toilets at car park & at Spencer Park
- Visitor centre in the main car park
- Dogs are welcome but must be kept under control at all times
- Bottle Lake is used by bikes and horses also.
- Walkers should always give way to horses
- Picnic area available
- Following the February 22 Earthquake part of the forest is being used for the Burwood Resource Recovery Park operation which allows for rubble and silt to be recycled. A number of tracks have been re-routed and there is now an exclusion zone.
- Bottle Lake is a working forest and tracks are closed from time to time.