Christchurch Forest, Park & Reserve Walks
Enjoy the unique landscapes of Christchurch by foot. Highlights include a mix of wildlife, historic sites and expansive coastlines.
Bottle Lake Forest (Blue Track)
Duration of walk: arious The Blue Track is 11.4km in length and is fairly flat so should take around 1.5 - 2 hours.
Start location: The main entrance and car park for Bottle Lake Forest is from Waitikiri Drive, off Burwood Road, via either Marshlands or Burwood. There is also access from Spencer Park and from North Shore along the Southern Pegasus Bay track. The Blur Track start is clearly marked and begins abour 200ms from the main car park.
- Bottle Lake is an exotic pine forest of approximately 800 hectares.
- Tracks include long and short options to suit all ages and levels of fitness
- Forest walk so can be cool and shady on a hot day
- A lot of bird life
Map of Bottle Lake Forest Walks
Halswell Quarry Walks
Duration of walk: Various walks ranging from 5 - 40 minutes with the opportunity to combine walks.
Start location: All walks can be accessd from the car park off Kennedys Bush Road
- Halswell Quarry played a major role in the development of Christchurch. It ceased production in 1990 after 140 years of quarrying.
- The park features six sister city gardens and a Canterbury botanical collection.
- A unique 60.4 hectare park, with an unusual combination of recreational walks and historic sites.
- Toilets located in the main car park area.
- Picnic sites
- Dog park area available.
More information on specific walks
Download a map of Halswell Quarry
Duration of walk: A numer of walks in the reserve with Panako Walkway being popular. It is a 40 minte walk within the reserve.
Start location: Start from the Hussey Road car-park.
- The reserve extends along the Styx River for nearly 1.6km which provides a lovely setting for walks and recreation.
- Dog exercise park within the reserve
- There are 10 species of freshwater fish, approximately 46 bird species to be seen and an important spawning ground.
- A viewing platform makes a good place for fish and bird spotting.
More information and other walks in Styx Mill
Map of Styx Mill
Duration of walk: There are a number of tracks linking North & South Hagley Park with the Botanic Gardens at the heart. A full loop is roughly 7km and will take roughly 2 hours.
Start location: There is a car park off Armagh Street which is a good location for starting the walk.
- Walk alongside the peaceful Avon.
- Enjoy spring flowers in the Woodland area or the autumnal leaves around the park.
- Take time to view the Peace Bell, Central Rose Garden and Conservatories before taking the Armagh Footbridge back to the car park.
Map of Hagley Park
Map of Botanic Gardens
Duration of walk: Spencer Park is a great spot for picnics and family outings. There is a short walk of 1k the loops a small pond with many birds.
Start location: Start at the main carpark for Spencer Park which is off Lower Styx Road.
- There has been considerable native planting attracting many birds to the area.
- There are sheltered picnic areas that can be booked.
- The beach is a short walk with a Surf Life Saving club operating in the summer months,
More information on Spencer Park
Map of Spencer Park