Christchurch Coastal & Waterway Walks
Pack a picnic and enjoy a great variety of coastal and wetland walks around the city of Christchurch. Highlights include stunning coastal scenery and many opportunities to view a vast range of wildlife.
Taylors Mistake - Godley Head
Duration of walk: 7km, 3 hour round trip
Start location: There is a car park at the end of Godley Head Road and also at Taylors Mistake beach.
- One of Christchurch's iconic walks due to the beautiful ocean, harbour and city views.
- Historic military buildings remain and can be explored.
- Very well maintained track but can be steap in parts.
Map of Walkway
Otamahua / Quail Island
Duration of walk: 2 hours 30 minutes return
Start location: Quail Island is located within Lyttelton Harbour and can be accessed only by boat. There are ferry’s running daily in the summer months from Lyttelton.
- Walkway with interpretive panels explaining the history of the island
- Magnificent views
- Activities for children
- Calm water for swimming and paddling in the warmer months.
Map of Quail Island
Book a ferry to Quail Island
Duration of walk: The loop is approximately 4k and will take 1 hour to complete.
Start location: The main car park and access is located at the end of Beach Road or there is also an alternative entrance on Mairehau Road.
- A special place to view wildlife, with over 50 species of birds, indigenous skinks, native shortfin eels/tuna and the Canterbury mudfish/kowaro.
- Suitable for pushchairs and wheelchairs as it is a good gravelled path.
Map of Travis Wetland
Duration of walk: The track is 1km in length and 2km return. Approximately 1 hour total.
Start location: There is a car park in Larnarch Street, follow the wide gravelled track.
- Well-made track climbs onto the crest of dunes offering good views of the shoreline.
- There's toilets and children's playground by Waimari Surf Life Saving club at the end of the track.