Intensity: Short walk
How to get there: From central Christchurch, drive south on Colombo St, turn right on to Moorhouse Avenue. Drive 1.5 km west on Moorhouse Avenue to a set of lights, turn to the left onto Lincoln Road. At 4.1 km you will drive through a set of lights and onto Highway 75, Halswell Road is the main road to Akaroa Harbour. At 8.3 km there is a very busy cross road. You need to drive across and over to Kennedy's Bush Rd. At 1.5 km you then turn in to Halswell Quarry. Bus No 7, to Halswell and Kennedy Bush. Drive into the park you and you will find numerous small car parks for car parking.
Description of walk: The Quarry rim walk follows the quarry crater rim and aﬀords panoramic views of the Southern Alps and the city, although it can be steep in parts there are plenty of spots to take a break and enjoy the view, the track is suitable for all ages. Information panels depict the workings and historic features of the quarry and viewing platforms, the track descends to Findlays picnic area and back to the main car park. There are links to Kennedy’s Bush Road car park and track.
Facilities available & important information:
- Lighting of fires is not permitted.
- Bicycles are allowed in the park but they need to be kept to the marked tracks.
- No camping is allowed in the carpark.
- Dogs can be off leash in the area shown on the map in the carpark, they must be on leash on other areas except the dog prohibited area.
- Toilets available in carpark
- Vehicle gates open 7.30am all year round. Vehicle gates close:
- December–February: 9pm
- March–May: 7pm
- June–August: 6pm
- September–November: 8pm