Akaroa & Banks Peninsula Coastal Walks
Explore the rugged coastline and soak up the stunning vistas of Banks Peninsula with a variety of short coastal walks. It is best to avoid high-tide to make the most of your experience.
Duration of walk: 1 hour circuit
Start location: Akaroa lighthouse
- Akaroa Lighthouse and historical monument. The Britomart monument commemorates a key moment in New Zealand history, when the British proclaimed sovereignty over the South Island. Wonderful views over Akaroa harbour.
More information - Click on red number 7
Duration of walk: 1 hour circular (allow extra times to enjoy beaches avoid high tide)
Start location: Take Highway 75 to the Okains Bay road crossroads and turn into the Ngaio Point subdivision on the headland. Park about 100m further along Monarch Drive in the lay-by on the left. The walk starts at the wire gate adjacent to the lay-by.
- Wonderful views of the Akaroa harbour
- Ideal for families with active children to take a beach picnic and go for a swim.
More information - Click on red number 4
Duration of walk: 1 hour there and back
Start location: Park at Duvauchelle Hotel car park and walk to Onawe.
- Avoid at high tide
- This is a sacred Maori site, please walk with respect and refrain from eating.
- Interesting volcanic geological rocks and wonderful views over the harbour.
More information - Click on red number 5