Digital Update - The New Year Edition
5 Things To Do In 2017 To Improve Your Digital Strategy
1. Create More Content
Creating engaging content that appeals to your audience and can be repurposed across multiple channels is one of the best marketing investments you can make in 2017. Using a multimedia approach to your content will ensure you stay relevant this year. Great content combined with an effective distribution strategy has the potential to reach and influence thousands.
Side Note - Paid social advertising is a cost effective and targeted way to get your content in front of the right audience at the right time.
Quick Tips For Producing Great Content
- Be relevant and understand what your audience finds interesting. This means trial and error. Evaluate what works and what doesn't and don't be afraid to try new things.
- Use high quality video and images.
- Keep written copy to a minimum and allow your visual creative to tell the story.
- Read up on 19 Tools to Create Social Media Content.
2. Think Mobile
2017 will continue to see the rise in mobile as more and more of the world's population will be accessing information from their finger tips.
It is important that when you are creating content and building webpages that you think of mobile FIRST. The majority of your users will be consuming this content through their mobile device and ensuring a positive user experience for these people should be a priority in 2017.
3. Track and Analyse
Content that is created and pushed out through your various channels should be tracked with UTM Tracking. UTM Tracking adds code to the end of your URL which allows you to monitor session activity on your website from the specific URL source. It is important to know how many people click on your links, but it is more valuable to know what they do once they hit your website.
If Google Analytics isn't your best friend already, 2017 is your time to acquaint yourself with this essential data tool.
- Set up a custom dashboard in Google Analytics which shows the most relevent data to you on one screen. This will save you time and prevent you getting lost in the maze of data that is available within Google Analytics.
- Read this uselful article on 'How to use Google UTM tracking to analyze your social traffic.'
4. Utilize UGC
We are incredibly lucky in the tourism industry to have so many people creating amazing content for us on a daily basis. Set up specific Hashtags for your brand that when used, allow you to repurpose that content on your own social channels. Reposting your fans content on your Facebook and Instagram accounts is a great way to engage with your audience. With UGC there is never the excuse of having no content to post.
- Do not use regramming tools on Instagram. Engagement rates on these types of posts have proven to be considerably less than if you screenshot, crop and repost the image with the appropriate photo credit.
- Tag the orginal content creator in all your reposted content.
- Look into social aggregation tools such as TINT to incorporate UGC into your website.
- Read this great article about the 10 Best Practices for Tourism Marketing with Instagram which talks about using UGC.
5. Listen and Engage
Taking time to sift through social media platforms and listen to what people are saying about your brand or region is important market research. Identify the positives and negatives and use your voice to engage with your audience and help support or influence them in the right direction.
Engage with the online community through commenting, sharing or even a simple like on a post. Letting people know that you are listening and interested in their thoughts and opinions can be very powerful.
- Block out time in your diary to remind yourself to Listen and Engage through your social channels.
- Search for keywords and hashtags to find the most relevent content to engage with.
Writen by - Aleisha Duncan, Online Marketing Manager CCT