When was the last time you explored central Christchurch with the family?
Here's our school holiday checklist.
1. Margaret Mahy Family Playground. A 'must do' for any family trip into Christchurch. The slides, spider web, flying fox and water play will keep little and big kids entertained for hours.
2. Rollickin' Gelato. See the little ones eyes widen as they stare through the cabinet in anticipation at the mounds of gelato goodness. You can even have a wee taste before you buy. Warning - gelato envy is a given!
3. City Putt & Cruise. Nothing screams family fun like a game of mini golf. Enjoy this inner city course with the holes reminiscent of Christchurch's past.
4. Imagination Station. Let your imagination run wild - craft, create all things Lego, mechanics and robotics. Be sure to book, as numbers are limited.
5. Christchurch Botanic Gardens. Definitely quintessential Christchurch. Gather the troops and spend an afternoon climbing trees, feeding ducks, scooting the paths and checking out the playground.
6. Antigua Boat Sheds. Hire a paddle-boat or kayak and challenge the family to a race down the Avon River. Try not to get too wet!
7. Canterbury Museum. Learn about the past, present and future Christchurch and Canterbury. For children who love the natural world then a trip to the Discovery Room is a must. For a $2 entry, kids will be delighted and amazed at the range of bugs, fossils and creepy crawlies including a live tarantula.
8. Christchurch Tram. Take a tour of the inner city from the comfort of the Christchurch Tram. Hop on and off throughout the city and treat the family to a spot of inner city shopping and lunch.
10. The Terraces. Feed the eels from the steps of The Terraces next to the Bridge of Remembrance. Did you know there are special Eel condos built under The Terraces. How cool is that!