You Can Do Relaxation in Canterbury
So you need some time out from the hustle, bustle and everyday chores of life? Well we Can Do Relaxation in Canterbury.
Day 1: Arrive in Christchurch
- Arrive in an ever-evolving Christchurch and take a tour of the city by bike, bus, Segway, or on foot. And hear Christchurch's story from past, present and future, often straight from the mouths of long term locals.
- Head to Re:START Mall for lunch and enjoy some delicious street food surrounded by the ambience of locals, visitors and entertaining buskers.
- Spend the early afternoon taking a relaxing stroll around the Botanic Gardens or hop on a Caterpillar Tour to find out a little more about these beautiful gardens.
- Let the afternoon float by as you glide down the Avon with an experienced Edwardian style punter, whilst snuggling under blankets with a crisp glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- Make your way to The Tannery for an evening at Gustav's Kitchen where the Aga oven is used to create delicious and comforting treats.
- Stay at one of the inner-city hotels or apartments and make the most out of your city experience.
Day 2: Christchurch to Hanmer Springs
- Take an early morning trip to Sumner, the beachside suburb, for breakfast at one of the local Cafes – what better way to start the day than with an ocean view?
- Hop in the car and journey inland to the rejuvenating alpine town of Hanmer Springs, just a 90 minute drive away.
- Set your own pace for the afternoon and hire a bike to explore the epic mountain biking tracks or wander through the stunning Hanmer Forest. For something a little more relaxing, make your way to the Thermal Pools and Spa where you can indulge in one of their specialised treatments before blissing out in the pools.
- Keep it low-key tonight and visit a local pub for some good grub and local banter (no doubt there will be rugby on).
Day 3: Hanmer Springs to Kaikoura
- Set of early and drive to Kaikoura (90 minutes from Hanmer Springs)
- Kaikoura is best known for its wildlife and delicious seafood, so head up in the sky or out onto the water to get up-close to the resident sperm whales – you'll be sure to have a whale of a time.
- Take some time in the afternoon to walk around the peninsula, where multiple seal sightings are pretty much guaranteed!
- Wrap up the day with some beach fresh crayfish served with garlic butter at Seafood BBQ or Nin's Bin.
Day 4: Kaikoura to Christchurch
Drive 2.5 hours from Kaikoura down to Christchurch but be sure to leave plenty of time to make a pit stop at the Waipara Valley wineries. Waipara Valley is famous for it's Pinot Noir and Riesling but other varieties to note include Pinot Gris, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc. Pegasus Bay, Black Estate and Waipara Hills all have cellar doors and delicious restaurants waiting to refuel you on your journey.