You Can Do Food & Wine in Canterbury
Experience the best of New Zealand’s produce with a short break in Canterbury. From locally made cheese to the finest wines. You Can Do Food & Wine in Canterbury.
Day 1: Arrive into Christchurch
- Make the most of a morning trip to one of the local farmers' markets for breakfast and enjoy delicacies from around the world or a simple, but deliciously fresh pastry and coffee – there's a reason the Christchurch Farmers' Market has been voted the best in the country!
- Tour the ever evolving city of Christchurch by bus, foot, bike or Segway and find out a bit about the past, present and future from those in the know.
- Visit Re:START for a scrumptious lunch served from a quirky caravan and be entertained by local buskers.
- Hop on the tram and head to the Botanic Gardens for a wander around or jump on the Caterpillar Garden Tour for some a little more informed. Then take a relaxing punt down the Avon with a local wine or if it's a wee bit colder, a delicious hot chocolate from one of the boat sheds.
- Dine the night away at Pescatore and taste their famous degustation menu while you take in the luxurious surrounds.
Day 2: Christchurch to Akaroa
Day 3: Akaroa to Christchurch
- Begin the day a traditionally French way at a local patisserie.
- Head onto the tranquil harbour and swim with the world's smallest dolphins – the Hector's dolphin, they really love to play!
- Sample the local Akaroa salmon at one of the restaurants for a spot of lunch. It really doesn't get much fresher than this.
- Make your way back to Christchurch but be sure to pop into Barrys Bay Cheese factory, where you can watch the cheese being made and sample a few to find your favourite.
- In the evening, head to Victoria Street where the dinning scene includes; Mexican, Thai, modern kiwi, Latin and Japanese to name a few!
Day 4: Christchurch
End your trip in style with an early morning helicopter flight to a remote spot on Banks Peninsula for a picnic breakfast. Or if a heli-flight is a little too indulgent, head up the Port Hills on the gondola and find a spot to enjoy the breathtaking vista.