You Can Do Exploration in Canterbury
Looking for big scenery and big experiences to help you escape the mundane 9-5 gruel? You Can Do Exploration in Canterbury.
Day 1: Christchurch to Aoraki / Mt Cook Village
Day 2: Aoraki / Mt Cook to Lake Tekapo
- Journey from Aoraki / Mt Cook to Lake Tekapo in a short hour and spend the morning exploring the stunning national park.
- Fish the afternoon away in the hydro canals or bountiful lakes and find some of the freshest trout and salmon New Zealand has to offer. Or hop on a bike and take in the beautiful Alps 2 Ocean Cycle Trail along the lake from Aoraki / Mt Cook to Twizel, a great option for a day long activity.
- Enjoy the evening in Lake Tepako and experience Tekapo Springs. Here you can ice skate or snow tube in the colder months or glide down the world's largest inflatable slide in the summer. But if that all sounds a bit much, just relax in the hot pools and enjoy the breathtaking vista.
- Finish the day with some stargazing in the Mackenzie basin, the world's largest, gold status International Dark Sky Reserve. Earth and Sky run from Lake Tekapo and The Hermitage operate Big Sky Stargazing at Aoraki / Mt Cook.
Day 3: Lake Tekapo to Methven
- Soak up the beautiful scenery of the Canterbury Plains at the foothills of the Southern Alps on the 2 hour drive to Methven - a bustling ski town in winter and adventure playground in the summer.
- In Methven you'll find a choice of jet boating, hiking, biking, golf or clay bird shooting. And if you're visiting in winter, Mt Hutt is right on Methven's doorstop ready and waiting for epic afternoon of skiing or boarding.
- Head to one of the local pubs for spot of dinner to refuel and recharge with some true Kiwi hospitality.
Day 4: Methven to Christchurch
- Rise early and take a hot air balloon trip over the Canterbury Plains and experience the magical sunrise, complete with a champagne breakfast.
- Head back to Christchurch with just enough time for a trip up the Port Hills and take in the glorious ocean to alps views.