Lacking date night inspiration? We've put together some ideas to get you out of the house and exploring the central city.
1. Picture burgers, beers and retro games - what could be better on a date night? Arcadia Retro Arcade & Pinball Emporia will become a favourite with Christchurch's largest selection of retro games with classics including Pacman, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong and Street Fighter 2. If that's not enough there's pool, a large selection of pinball machines, board games and a DJ on the weekend.
2. After a date night with a difference? Test your creativity, communication skills and ability to work as a team with Crate Escape. Find clues, locks and solve puzzles to escape the themed rooms and have loads of fun along the way. Rooms include The Lost Hut of Antarctica and The Misadventures of Max Magnus. Try to escape in record time.
3. Can you never find the time to visit the Christchurch Art Gallery? Perfect for the mid-week date night, The Christchurch Art Gallery is open until 9pm on Wednesdays so you can get your cultural fix. For those after a more in-depth experience take the free highlights tour at 7:15pm. Finish with a meal or drink at Universo Brassiere and Bar! You can even get your first hour of parking free in the car park building under the gallery.
4. Heading to the movies is the ultimate 'date night' cliché, however Alice is anything but mainstream. Located within the grand Old Post Office building down High Street, the rental library houses the rare and unusual with an impressive collection of foreign and art house films for those that prefer to enjoy a movie at home. For those looking for a date night out and about, the boutique cinemas are plush, intimate and showcase a range of films often overlooked by the larger cinema chains.
5. Sit back, relax and dine on New Zealand's only tram restaurant experience. Be treated to a welcome drink, settle in and watch the world go by, as your tram circles the streets of the CBD. It's a great way to take-in the highlights of the city, while enjoying a delicious four course meal with your other half. A truly Christchurch experience!
6. Immerse yourself in the Christchurch arts scene. Make a night of it, get dressed up in your finest and catch a performance at the Isaac Theatre Royal or The Piano. The ever-changing and comprehensive event calendar, will have your date nights sorted for months on end. After the show, be sure to head to the Last Word for a debrief and a hand-picked whisky or signature cocktail.
7. For a more traditional date night, head out for dinner. Dine your way around The Terrace, with choices ranging from Kiwi pub grub, Mediterranean to Teppanyaki (to name just a few). With nine hospitality establishments to choose from, your date nights will be sorted for a good few weeks at least! Top off your evening with delicious cocktails at Kong, and sip your way through their extensive menu or groove to live music at Fat Eddies.
8. Shoot some pool at The Rock Pool. Thirteen pool tables, tasty dinner menu, comprehensive drink selection and great tunes. It's a fun, entertaining not to mention slightly competitive way to spend a date night!
9. If you are out and about early afternoon, enjoy a classically Christchurch date with a romantic punt down the Avon. Snuggle under the warmth of a blanket as your punt meanders down the Avon. After your ride enjoy an early evening stroll along the banks of the Avon through the Botanic Gardens.
10. HOYTS EntX is the place to be! Begin the evening with dinner and drinks at the ground floor hospitality precinct. This is not your average food court! After dinner settle back in the powered reclining seats and enjoy a film on the super large screens. If you want to really impress your date, upgrade to the LUX theatre experience, with licensed in-cinema dining service!