Re:START - a unique shopping experience in the heart of Christchurch
Re:START is an outdoor retail space consisting of temporary buildings made from shipping containers. Opened in October 2011, Re:START is the home of different businesses including retailers, a number of food caravans and a market on the weekend.
Retail & hospitality
The shops are full of premium fashion, shoes, food and Kiwi-icon based products. The gorgeous retail mix combined with the vibrant exterior colours and the uniformity of shapes makes it not unlike Toytown in a more upmarket dimension.
Of particular interest:
- The General Store and Hapa for fantastic New Zealand memorabilia and gifts.
- Unique souvenirs and gifts at Simply New Zealand.
- Fashion including Ruby, Storm, Infinite Definite, Stencil, Barkers and much more.
- Diverse wares by the Cosmic crew.
- Maher’s and Head Over Heels designer shoes.
- Services such as Banks and a Post Office.
Find out more about the retailers at Re:START.
After shopping with total commitment, take a load off and sample some of the delicious food on offer within the retail space.
Located in Re:START, Quake City is a multi-media attraction that tells the stories of the Christchurch and Canterbury earthquakes. Canterbury Museum is a cornerstone sponsor and facilitator of this new attraction that engages, informs and educates visitors about the seismic events that have ruptured the region since they began on 4 September 2010. The exhibition opened on Friday, 15 February 2013.
At Quake City you can:
- Experience the Rūaumoko Māori legend
- Be captivated by personal earthquake stories
- See the events through large-scale imagery
- Marvel at the work done by the emergency services
- Hear about the incredible resilience of our communities
- View iconic objects like the top of the ChristChurch Cathedral spire
- Stand over an active liquefaction volcano
- Learn about the science of earthquakes.
Cost & hours
Entry is $20 per adult, concession $16 and children (under 15 years accompanied by an adult) free.
Quake City is open from 10am - 5pm, 7 days per week.
Re:START is on Christchurch's Cashel Street with parking available. It's within easy walk of some of the city's accommodation, the Christchurch Botanic Gardens, Avon River and Christchurch i-SITE Visitor Centre. It is open 7 days per week.