Ferrymead Heritage Park

Ferrymead owes its importance in history to the hills dividing Christchurch from the port of Lyttelton. Pioneers transported their goods over the steep Bridle Path from Lyttelton to Heathcote, where punts were used to cross the river into early Christchurch. Later traffic came by sea up the estuary. In 1863, the first railway in New Zealand was opened, running from Ferrymead into central Christchurch. This railway line was the inspiration for Ferrymead Heritage Park and the restored railway line. Ferrymead Park features an early 1900s township and has a variety of restored cottages, school house, church and businesses. The tram runs every weekend and through the school holidays and Steam Sunday is held on the 2nd Sunday of the month.

Opening Hours

Business hours
    10.00am - 4.30pm Daily
Months of operation
    All Year
  • Proximity to airport:
    20km
    Proximity to town:
    10km east of city central

Pricing & Conditions