Autumn is in the air and that can only mean one thing – the end of Term 1!
The two week break runs from Saturday, 13 April to Sunday, 28 April, if you’re staying in Christchurch or visiting us during the break you are in luck – there’s heaps on in our city and we can’t wait to welcome you in and show you a good time.
Below are some of our top picks of school holiday activities on this April. Be sure to also check out our family fun page for oodles of free and fun activities in Christchurch and Canterbury.
For the budding artists
Come along to the Paint ‘n’ Sip Studio for a kid-friendly open paint session and return home with a masterpiece! You’re provided with all the materials to complete your painting, as well as nibbles! Under 8s must be accompanied by an adult. Bookings essential.
- Easter egg open paint session: Thursday, 18 April 3pm to 4.30 pm
- Open paint session: Sunday, 28 April 2.30pm to 4.30pm
For entertainment and a dash of culture
Get the kids a taste of local directing and acting talent at the Court Theatre performance of the Time Machine. Go on a journey with Dr Harriet Wells and her time machine. Catch your thrills as she is chased by a T-Rex and travels to a future controlled by mean robots!
- Runs 13 April to 27 April
- Relaxed performance for those with sensory needs on 27 April.
Did somebody say chocolate eggs?
Easter sits bang in the middle of the holidays and we know how to do a great egg hunt here in Christchurch, check out:
- Quail Island Easter Egg Hunt – take the ferry from Lyttelton to Quail Island and search the island for coloured tokens which you can exchange for Easter eggs. On your adventures you may also discover ship wrecks, native birds, volcanic cliffs and caves! Tickets are limited, bookings essential at www.blackcat.co.nz. Runs 19 to 21 April.
- Canterbury Museum Egg Hunt – it’s not bunnies that are on the loose, it’s a giant moa! Search the museum for her hidden eggs and you will go in the draw to win a fantastic prize (and maybe learn something about NZ’s extinct moa in the process). Runs 30 March to 28 April.
- The Great New Zealand Easter Egg Hunt – et the family to Ferrymead Heritage Park, use your map to collect stamps from secret locations and claim your Easter treat. But that’s not all…..there’ll be unlimited train and tram rides, food vendors, a bouncy castle and if you dress up as an Easter character you can join in the Easter Parade! One day only - Sunday, 21 April.
For the clowns in the family
Come along to the Circus open day on Saturday, 20 April. For a gold coin donation, you can have a go at aerials, balancing, juggling and more! Or if you are looking for some more in-depth training check out the kids circus workshops.
- Circus open day: Saturday, 20 April, 10.30 to 12.30pm, New Brighton
- Circus workshops: April 18 and 22
For the adventurous
The International Antarctic Centre has a host of school holiday experiences that will entertain and (don’t tell the kids) educate!
You can spend a day with a Husky Musher (yes it’s a thing, we checked!) and several huskies, join the penguin keepers for a ‘day in the life of’ experience or take part in one of the daily programmes covering Antarctica themes like being a Hägglund driver, living on the ice, survival tips and pitching a polar tent.
ANZAC Day – Thursday 25 April
Find peace and take time to remember the service and sacrifice of all those in military conflicts. Remember our veterans with an ANZAC service, including:
- Dawn Parade and ANZAC service will be held in Cranmer Square. The parade marches from the RSA building on Armagh Street. Starts from 6am to 7.15am
- Citizens Service, Transitional Cathedral, from 9.45am – service commences at 10am
- New Zealand Airforce Museum annual service, from 12pm. Remember and honour the airmen at the Air Force Museum in Wigram. The Salvation Army Band will provide musical accompaniment.
- There are also a host of local events, contact your local RSA for more details.
For the rainy days
While you’re in the city, grab a bite to eat and catch a movie at EntX, our central city deluxe cinema complex. Kid-friendly movies on in the holidays include Dumbo, The Lego Movie, and Wonder Park.
Check out more ideas on our family fun page to add to your list!