The café culture in Christchurch is alive and kicking with some world-class institutions right at our doorstep. It was hard to choose, but here's our pick for 10 of the best spots to get your caffeine fix.
1. C1 Espresso – It's been around for 20 years, but always remains fast, fresh and unique. Definitely, a Christchurch must do (who can resist a flying burger?).
2. Lyttelton Coffee Company – A little slice of delicious in the port of Lyttelton. Supplying coffee all over Christchurch and beyond, so why not get it straight from the source!
3. Hello Sunday – Nominated by its peers at the recent Hospitality Awards, as the best café in Christchurch, this Sydenham café is one that you really don’t want to miss.
4. Little Brews - A tiny coffee bar right in the heart of the Christchurch CBD, the ideal place to get your caffeine fix quick.
5. Black & White Coffee Cartel –These guys are serious about coffee! Plus they serve Cakes by Anna mini cakes, and Fairlie Bakehouse pies… need we say more?
- Victoria Street / The Crossing / Lichfield Street / High Street / Bush Inn / Oxford Terrace
6. Supreme Supreme – From Melbourne, to Wellington and now even better in the 03… one of the best breakfasts you can have in Christchurch – try the porridge or eggs on toast. Mmm.
7. Caffeine Laboratory – One of the most iconic Christchurch places to enjoy your morning brew. New Regent Street is a great backdrop for some seriously good food and coffee.
8. Gentle Giant - the stylish cafe makes the most creamy lattes ever and offers very tasty cabinet food. The same owners run In Situ in Opawa, the perfect place for early birds, the cafe opens at 6.30am.
9. Upshot Coffee - a local's tip: The ultimate meeting point for bikers, hikers and walkers in Heathcote.
11. Unknown Chapter is often packed with people especially on a weekend - The team roasts their own coffee beans and the smell wavering through the inner city early in the morning is irresistible.
12. A Mouse called Bean started off in a shipping container. The coffee served is not for people who like decaf, the espresso is black and strong and will certainly keep you awake. A Mouse called Bean moved out of the container and into Little High at Tuam Street.
13. Addington Coffee Co-op not only serves great locally sourced and organic food, the coffee is delicious as well. It's the only cafe in Christchurch with a laundry attached.
14. Park Ranger - the cafe opposite Westfield Mall is the ideal spot to fuel up in between shopping trips. The coffee is not the strongest but has a full aroma and the food is delicious.
15. Stewart's Coffee | Vice Espresso - Stewart's coffee was first established in 1956 by the late T.A Stewart in Dunedin. After a long history the company decided to move to Christchurch and still continue to roast beans out of their historic roaster. Situated in Halswell, its definitely the place to head for a good shot of coffee or to purchase some beans for home.
Feel like ice cream? Find out our top picks.